Name and History
The full name of this move is Women Intercessors for the Church and the Nations (a.k.a. Wailing Women Worldwide).
The move started in Port Harcourt, Nigeria in May 1998 with a cry from God’s heart to His daughters concerning the spiritual state of the Church and the Nigerian nation. Through prophetic utterance, the Lord specifically asked that women be raised from the 36 States of Nigeria (across denominational boundaries) to intercede for the church and the nation. He promised that if women came before Him in true repentance, He would avert the impending judgment on the nation.
From that first mobilization effort, the women have held several solemn assemblies, in the regions and in various nations around the world.
So far Teams of Wailing Women have carried God’s messages to over 110 countries across the globe.
No human being can claim to be the founder of the move of the Wailing Women Worldwide. The Lord God Almighty issued the call using the Prophet Jeremiah:
Jeremiah 9:17-18 (NIV)
This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Consider now! Call for the wailing women to come; send for the most skillful of them. Let them come quickly and wail over us till our eyes overflow with tears and water streams from our eyelids.
Wailing is a very high form of intercession. It is called for when impossible cases need to be handled. Wailing that comes with tears from a broken and contrite heart moves God to action and causes Him to release healing. God is calling for the tears of true repentance from all nations of the world. Although the Bible says that He will show mercy on whom He will show mercy, people still have to repent of sin. As people repent of their individual and national sins and fervent prayers are offered up before the Lord, God will show mercy, but His judgement will come down on wickedness and unrighteousness. This will salvage the world from crisis. The Lord is intent on taking the church back to the Old Pathway of holiness, righteousness, obedience, and the fear of the Lord. This is to ensure that “the kingdoms of this world do become the kingdoms of our God and of His Christ” (Rev. 11:15).
The major work of the Wailing Women Worldwide is to serve as prophetic gate keepers or “watchmen” for their homes, their nations, and the church. They are to travail in prayers until the will of God is done in every sector of life, in every nation and in the world.
The Wailing women are called and commissioned by the Lord to do the following:
- Mourn, sigh, and bring repentance before God regarding the level of violence and sin in the world. The abominations taking place all over the world should burden our hearts to pray.
- Teach our daughters how to wail and our neighbors how to bring lamentation for sin before God (Jeremiah 9:20).
- Serve as messengers to the nations from the Lord God Almighty (Num. 22:27-33). Therefore, we have to go at His command to every part of the globe where He sends us on errands (Jeremiah 1:5-8):
- To root out evil and wickedness wherever it is found
- To raise righteous standards all over the world
- To help build God’s house, even the Church of Jesus Christ
- To help plant the engrafted word of God in the hearts of men and ensure that the will of God is done in our nations.
- To pray for the restoration of all that the enemy has stolen from families, communities, and nations (Isaiah 58:12) to serve as part of God’s end time trumpeters to call the church back to the old pathway of holiness.
- Expand the frontiers of the kingdom of God on earth by building altars of righteousness unto the God of heaven (Exodus 20:24-25).
- Help gather the body of believers in every nation for solemn assemblies to repair their individual, city, national and continental altars (Joel 2:15-18).